jeudi 16 avril 2015

Lockhart: To Liftoff and Beyond

Thank you. It's a pleasure to be back in Palm Beach. I'd like to thank the Palm Beach Chamber and the Economic Council for hosting me at this event.



As a Fed policymaker, I consider it essential to get out and talk to people in my Federal Reserve region to hear how they are currently experiencing the economy.



At the same time, when I weigh options for optimal monetary policy and go to Washington to participate in meetings of the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC), I consider policy from a national perspective only. I don't base my position on policy matters on what is best for the regional economy. However, what I learn about economic developments in the Southeast helps me build my national view.



The Sixth Federal Reserve District comprises six states in whole or in part. They are Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee. Florida is the largest state economy among these. The Southeast is expansive geographically and is a large chunk of the U.S. economy. It's over 40 million people and about 13 percent of the country's gross domestic product. If the region were a separate country, its economy would rank as number 9 in the world. It helps our work of gauging national trends that the Southeast economy is sizeable and resembles the national economy in industrial composition and employment distribution.



The Atlanta Fed operates from six offices across the region. Our Miami office is one of our largest. The Miami office focuses on South Florida and, particularly, Southwest Florida.



To ensure we are gathering information about the performance of the economy as systematically as possible, we have organized something we call our Regional Economic Information Network, or REIN. REIN is made up of business and community contacts in a variety of fields and includes firms and institutions of all sizes.



Our economic information network in this part of Florida is overseen by our regional




Attached Thumbnails


Attached Image (click to enlarge)






Lockhart: To Liftoff and Beyond

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire